Complaint Process

What is a Complaint?

A complaint is a written and signed statement alleging a violation of federal or state laws or regulations, which may include an allegation of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying. If the complainant is unable to put the complaint in writing, due to conditions such as a disability or illiteracy, the agency shall assist the complainant in the filing of the complaint.

UCP Complaints

A complaint regarding the violation of specific federal and state programs that use categorical funds such as Adult Education, After School Education and Safety, Agricultural Vocational Education, American Indian Education Centers, American Indian Early Childhood Education, Career Technical Education, Child Care and Development, Consolidated Categorical Aid, Foster Youth Services, Local Control Funding Formula and Local Control Accountability Plans, Migrant Education, Nutrition Services, Regional Occupational Centers, School Facilities, Special Education, Tobacco-Use Prevention Education, and Unlawful Pupil Fees are considered UCP complaints. UCP complaints are filed with the district superintendent or their designee.

Compliance Officer:
Carrie Duckart, Assistant Superintendent
7448 Fox Road
Hughson, CA 95326
(209) 883-4428
[email protected]

Williams Complaints

A Williams Complaint, another type of UCP complaint, regards instructional materials, emergency or urgent facilities conditions that pose a threat to the health and safety of pupils, and teacher vacancy or misassignment and may be filed anonymously. Williams Complaints are filed with the principal, or their designee, of the school in which the complaint arises. Schools have complaint forms available for these types of complaints, but will not reject a complaint if the form is not used as long as the complaint is submitted in writing.

Please review the following "overview of complaints process" to assist you with determining your next steps. It is the District's goal to resolve all matters at the school site or department whenever possible. If you are unclear about a process, have questions, or need assistance, please contact us.

The Board advises the public that the proper channeling of complaints around instruction, discipline, learning materials, or district personnel is as follows:

  1. Teacher or Employee

  2. Principal or Supervisor

  3. Appropriate District Office Administrator

  4. Superintendent

  5. Board

California Department of Education - Notice of Class Action Settlement - English
California Department of Education - Notice of Class Action Settlement - Spanish


Parents/Guardians, Students, and Teachers:

Pursuant to Education Code 35186, you are hereby notified that:

1.  There should be sufficient textbooks and instructional materials. That means each student, including an English learner, must have a textbook or instructional materials, or both, to use in class and to take home.

2.  School facilities must be clean, safe, and maintained in good repair.

3.  There should be no teacher vacancies or misassignments.  There should be a teacher assigned to each class and not a series of substitutes or other temporary teachers.  The teacher should have the proper credential to teach the class, including the certification required to teach English learners, if present.

Misassignment means the placement of a certificated employee in a teaching or services position for which the employee does not hold a legally recognized certificate or credential or the placement of a certificated employee in a teaching or services position that the employee is not otherwise authorized by statute to hold.

Teacher vacancy means a position to which a single designated certificated employee has not been assigned at the beginning of the year for an entire year or, if the position is for a one-semester course, a position to which a single designated certificated employee has not been assigned at the beginning of a semester for an entire semester.

4.  A complaint form may be obtained at the school office or district office, or downloaded from the school or district web site.  You may also download a copy of the California Department of Education complaint form from the following web site: However, a complaint need not be filed using either the district's complaint form or the complaint form from the California Department of Education.

YOUR RIGHTS Per Ed Code 221.8:

(a) You have the right to fair and equitable treatment and you shall not be discriminated against based on your sex.

 (b) You have the right to be provided with an equitable opportunity to participate in all academic extracurricular activities, including athletics.

 (c) You have the right to inquire of the athletic director of your school as to the athletic opportunities offered by the school.

 (d) You have the right to apply for athletic scholarships.

 (e) You have the right to receive equitable treatment and benefits in the provision of all of the following:

 (1) Equipment and supplies.

 (2) Scheduling of games and practices.

 (3) Transportation and daily allowances.

 (4) Access to tutoring.

 (5) Coaching.

 (6) Locker rooms.

 (7) Practice and competitive facilities.

 (8) Medical and training facilities and services.

 (9) Publicity.

 (f) You have the right to have access to a gender equity coordinator to answer questions regarding gender equity laws.

 (g) You have the right to contact the State Department of Education and the California Interscholastic Federation to access information on gender equity laws.

 (h) You have the right to file a confidential discrimination complaint with the United States Office of Civil Rights or the State Department of Education if you believe you have been discriminated against or if you believe you have received unequal treatment on the basis of your sex.

 (i) You have the right to pursue civil remedies if you have been discriminated against.

 (j) You have the right to be protected against retaliation if you file a discrimination complaint.

Additional information available at:
-HUSD Non-Discrimination / Harassment Policy (Title IX)
-Office for Civil Rights / U.S. Department of Education
-California Department of Education / Uniform Complain Procedures


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.